If there were ever two ingredients that belong together, they are green chilis and cheese. It goes without saying that macaroni and cheese is comfort food at it’s finest, and adding a little bit of heat and flavor from the green chilis really takes it to the next level.
And when I say a little bit of heat, I mean just that. I kept the spice level down to make this recipe toddler-friendly, but if you like your food hotter, feel free to add another jalapeño in there!
This is what you make when you’re curling up on the couch on a Friday night and want to tuck into something warm and comforting. It’s a quick dish to make, is packed with flavor, and is sure to accompany whatever your Netflix choice du jour is. Next time you’re grocery shopping add a few extra ingredients to your cart to make this your new Friday night low-key night in staple dinner.
- 1 lb. elbow pasta
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 7 oz. can green chilis
- 1½ cup chopped tomatillos
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, melt butter.
- Add garlic, onion, and jalapeño. Cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add green chilis and tomatillos. Cook for about 5 minutes until tomatillos break apart and form a sauce.
- Add flour and stir to combine.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper, and allow to thicken.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Return pasta to the pot and stir. Serve immediately.