We have gorgeous summers here in the PNW, and I try to take advantage by spending some time outside with the boys every day. Every afternoon, right before dinner, we usually go for a walk. It’s the calm before the craziness of dinner, baths, and bedtime for the kids and we all enjoy it. I usually take the same route every time and we walk on this street with dozens of lavender bushes.
They always smell so good and last week I decided to pick a bunch (p.s. it’s a public street, not someone’s yard) and make it into something special. Lavender and lemon is such a great combination and these scones are a great way to showcase those flavors.
So enjoy these for breakfast, a snack, or your afternoon tea time.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tbsp. cold butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. + 1½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup. powder sugar
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 3 tbsp. fresh lavender, finely chopped or ground with mortar and pestle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place finely chopped or ground lavender in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Steep for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, place sugar and lemon zest. Rub zest into sugar using your fingers.
- To the same bowl, add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Using a cheese grater, grate butter. Add to dry ingredients and combine using your fingers or pastry cutter until mixture is the texture of wet sand.
- Strain lavender leaves from liquid. In a small bowl, whisk this liquid together with egg, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, and Greek yogurt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Using floured hands, pat dough into a circle about 1 inch in height. Using a sharp knife, cut circle into 8 triangles.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Cut triangles lines again with sharp knife and allow to cool.
- Combine 1½ tbsp. lemon juice with powdered sugar to make the glaze. Drizzle over scones and enjoy!