There’s a pretty popular layer dip of another nationality. You know the one I’m talking about. And while it’s delicious, this appetizer takes layer dips to a new level. I love Mediterranean flavors: herbs, lemon, garlic, olive oil, yogurt, and hummus are all staples in my kitchen. Why not combine those flavors to make a delicious little snack?
Serve this with pita bread, pita chips, or fresh veggies for a true crowd-pleaser. Or eat it with a spoon. I’m not going to judge you. I think as far as dips go, this can be considered on the healthier side because it isn’t full of sour cream and cheese (although I love those too…check out my caramelized onion dip). I have no doubt that this will be a hit at your next party!
- 1½ cups hummus (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup kalamata olives, chopped or sliced
- For the tzatziki sauce: in a food processor, combine yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil and process until smooth.
- Using your dish of choice, spread hummus in an even layer in the bottom of the dish. I used a 9 inch round glass pie dish, but you can use whatever suits you.
- Top hummus layer with tzatziki sauce layer.
- Top this with shredded lettuce, then chopped tomatoes, feta cheese, and olives on the top.
- Serve with pita bread, pita chips, and fresh veggies!